Monday, March 23, 2009

A Little Update

So despite getting a high number of games wrong during the first week of the NCAA tournament I'm not doing too bad overall. I have 14 of the 16 teams remaining, and have some confidence that I can still get 7 of the 8 teams into the elite eight. (Washington totally hosed me, last time I listen to a professor when picking my brackets) I have Louisville winning it. Although they haven't looked the strongest in their wins over the weekend, the tough win against a feisty Sienna team makes me pretty sure they have what it takes to make the run at the championship. Other than that, the weekend wasn't as exciting as some years. There were some close games and some controversy, but the teams that were supposed to win did, and that makes March Madness kind of lame. Don't get me wrong, I loved every second of it and will continue to watch until the championship game concludes, because it's college basketball and the emotion this time of year is better than anything else on TV.

I didn't get to watch as much as I would've liked because I was playing some basketball of my own in Noxon this weekend. We ended up getting second in a tournament full of some pretty decent teams. The whole weekend was a blast, and was full of great stories and awesome memories. I am always shocked everytime I go to Noxon because the people there are unbelievably nice. When I bring people home to hang out in Sunburst I know that they will feel welcome because my family is welcoming and all my friends are nice people. In Noxon though, the people honestly make you feel like it has been your home town for years. People remember me and come up and talk with me although my last visit was in July. There aren't many places like that left in this world, and I'm glad I found one in Noxon. I totally recommend going and visiting sometime. It's gorgeous country and you will leave with more friends than you came with. Guaranteed!

Spring break is finally a week away! I'm so excited to get to go home and hang out in Sunburst for awhile. It has been too long since I have been home, and the last trip home was filled with so much activity I didn't get to spend the time I wanted with my grandma and parents. I live on a farm that has my house and my grandma's house about 50 yards away from each other. That means that I am just as close with my grandma as my parents. When I needed advice, or was fighting with my parents my grandma and grandpa were always a short walk away to freedom. Plus, my grandma is the greatest cook on the face of our great earth and I cannot WAIT to have a week's worth of lunch and dinner with her. People say that I'm a grandma's boy, and I'm OK with that. If you had a grandma like mine you would be too.

Another great thing about going home is getting to see all the new cavs that we have running around our pastures. In the middle of January we start having our first sets of new babies, and I never get to see them because I'm normally back to college. But then over spring break I get to come home and see them when I go out to feed. That is a way better time anyway because they are way cuter acting and the mom's have calmed down enough for you to get close to them without constantly looking over your shoulder. It's a great time of year on the farm. Things are starting to melt and the grass is beginning to turn green. Hopefully we'll be getting ready to seed and start another year watching our fields of barley, wheat, and canola like they are young children in a crowded mall. It is always a nerve racking few weeks waiting to the crops to come up, but once they do it's a huge relief and exciting to wonder what will come in August.

This is a short post. It's been a busy busy week but I had been away for a long time so I wanted an update. Stay classy!

SHOUT OUT FOR THE DAY: Marcus Jordan. Son of Michael Jordan. THE Michael Jordan, this poor kid has to deal with being the greatest basketball player of all-time's son. He won his state tournament over the weekend in front of his crying father and thousands of people. To deal with the pressure of being Marcus Jordan everyday must be difficult, but when you are out on a basketball floor with everyone knowing who you are and watching to see signs of His Airness, it has to be one of the hardest things to do as a prep athlete. Congrats on pulling through and taking the championship, and good luck on trying to fill the shoes of your father for the next four years at whatever college you choose. You're gonna need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment